Tuesday, September 24, 2013

My Birthday

Brunch @ the Baku Fairmont Flame Towers

The beautiful Veranda
On Septmber 22, 2013 I turned 34 years old. To mark this celebration, I invited some co-workers to do a couple things: to help me celebrate my special day but more importantly, start brunching all over the city.

Now, while this wasn't the standard UAE brunch (different beverage packages, a plethora of food) it was pretty good for having just opened.

waffle on a stick

a Mango nectar with a chocolate on top




















As I looked around, I felt pretty comfortable (maybe all those brunches had de-sensitized me in some way) in my surroundings but it didn't have anything to do with the environment, food, or music (there was a harpist in the dining room playing for the crowd). 
The company that sat at my table was the reason I was so "at home," like I'd worked in Baku for years. It's funny how that happens...as you get older and meet new people, you instantly bond with them and it seems like you've known each other for years. I know the same can be true with my oldest friends. We don't have to speak everyday but when we do, we pick up right where we left off. You know it's a good one when...so as the harpist played "HBD" and my table (and the rest of the restaurant) sang, I raised my glass and said, "Here's to us, to you and the next year filled with shenanigans!" If that day is any indicator of what is to come, I know I'm in for a great ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment